FOOD // ROSIE FRIENDLY CHICKPEA CURRY
Rosie's favourite (non-spicy) curry is a delicious, warm and comforting HUG IN A BOWL. So nutritious and filled with loads of super veggies- chickpeas, sweet potato, spinach, carrots, zucchini and onion! I regularly cook up big batches of this and then keep it in the fridge/freezer and microwave it as a quick lunch or dinner for Rosie. AND it's actually vegan but you wouldn't even know it!
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or regular olive oil)
1 large sweet potato
2 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed) (also called garbanzo beans i have discovered!?!?)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 vegetable stock pot
1 litre water
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
1-2 packs of instant brown basmati rice depending on how hungry your family is! (I use the instant microwave packets because have you ever tried waiting 30+ minutes to cook rice when you have a hungry baby?! Not. Fun.)
1. Finely chop onion, carrot and zucchini and put into a large pan with the oil. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1 inch chunks.
3. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas and spices to the pan and cook for 2 minutes to coat everything in the spice flavour.
4. Add the water and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft but not mushy.
5. Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until it is wilted. Throw the rice in the microwave.
6. Put the rice in a bowl and top with the curry. Yummy!
As you can see, Rosie is currently learning about using a spoon so mealtimes get MESSY. But this curry is perfect as when mixed in with the rice it sticks to the spoon pretty well. She loves it!